FINAL CLASS ASSIGNMENT BIO 204.
Short Answer Questions
1) If a person has AB type blood, which of the ABO blood types can they receive as a transfusion?
2) When monocytes migrate into the interstitial spaces to fight infection, they change to a different type of cell called ________.
3) The group of blood disorders in which blood oxygen levels are inadequate to support normal metabolism is called ________.
4) How many polypeptide chains make up hemoglobin?_____________
5) List the granulocytes_________________________________________________________
6) Define systole and diastole. Which heart chambers are usually referenced when these terms are used?
7) The ________ in the carotid sinuses and aortic arch detect increases in blood pressure.
8) Which type of blood vessels contain valves and what is their function?
9) What is the consequence of obstruction of the lymphatics?
10) Name the tonsils and state their body locations. (2 points)
11) The most common type of immediate hypersensitivity is ________.
12) The portion of the uterine endometrium that is not sloughed off every month is called the ________.
13) Harmful or disease-causing microorganisms are called ________.
14) A group of at least 20 plasma proteins that normally circulate in an inactive state and are a major mechanism for destroying foreign substances in the body are referred to as ________.
15) The antibody that becomes bound to mast cells and basophils and causes the cells to release histamine and other chemicals is ________.
16) The principal enzyme for breaking down carbohydrates is ________.
17) Cells of the stomach that secrete HCl are ________ cells.
18) The ________ phase of gastric secretions occurs when food enters the stomach.
19) ADH activated water channels called ________ are essential for water reabsorption in the collecting duct.
20) The need to get up in the middle of the night to urinate is called ________.
21) The area between the ureters and urethra that is often the location of infection is called the ________ in a bladder.
22) The presence of pus in the urine is a condition called ________.
23) Sodium-linked water flow across a membrane not under hormonal control is called ________ water reabsorption
24) Surgical cutting of the ductus deferens as a form of birth control is called a(n) ________.